The organizational structure of the ministry includes the Minister, Deputy Minister for Administration, Deputy Minister for Finance, Deputy Minister for Customs & Revenues and Deputy Minister for Policies. Each Deputy Minister is leading and administering a number of specific departments. There are 14 Directorates which directly report to the Minister/ Deputy Ministers. The names of Directorates and their main functions are presented as below:
1) Chief of Staff Office: Secretariat and Liaison Role.
2) Customs Department: Customs Revenues Collection.
3) Treasury Department: Budget Execution, Accounting and Reporting, Payments Processing, Cash and debt management
4) Budget Department: Budget Formulation, Execution and Reporting.
5) Admin Department: Support Service, as procurement, transport, maintenance, IT, MOF Budget and its execution.
6) SOE Department: Privatization of all SOEs
7) Property Department: Register and rent/sale of government immovable assets.
8) HR Department: Recruitment, training and development, performance appraisal.
9) Insurance Department: Insurance legislation promulgation, monitor insurance company, promote insurance sector.
10) Internal Audit: Internal audit of the MOF business practices.
11) Revenues Department: Tax and Non Tax Revenues Collection.
12) DG of Operation for Policy Affairs
13) DG of Strategic Implementation
(14)Projects Coordination, Implementation and Monitoring
Most of the directorates are divided into sub directorates.
1) Office of the Minister is divided into: Media Office, Correspondence Office, Legal Advisors, Archive Office, Gender Office, Anti Corruption Office, Translation Board and Protocol Office.
2) Customs Department is divided into: Customs Planning and Reforms Sub-Dept and Customs Technical Sub-Dept.
3) Revenues Department is divided into: Large Taxpayers Sub-Dept, Revenues Policy & Legal Sub-Dept, Planning Sub-Dept and Kabul Revenues Sub-Dept.
4) Treasury Department is divided into: Treasury Systems Development Sub-Dept, Accounting Sub-Dept and Payments Sub-Dept.
5) Budget Department is divided into: Aid Coordination Sub-Dept, Budget Execution Sub-Dept and ANDS Sub-Dept.
6) Admin Department is divided into: Procurement and General Services Sub-Dept, Finance and Accounting Sub-Dept and IT Sub-Dept.
7) SOE Department is divided into: Policy & Coordination Sub-Dept, Financial Monitoring Sub-Dept and Privatization Sub-Dept.
8) Property Department is divided into: Technical Sub-Dept
9) HR Department is divided into: Employee Relation, Training & Development, Performance Appraisal & Record Keeping, Recruitment and Organizational Development.
10) Insurance Department is divided into: Insurance Affairs Sub-Dept.
11) Internal Audit Department is divided into: Compliance Audit Sub- Dept, Budget & Treasury Audit Sub- Dept and Revenues Audit Sub- Dept.
12) DG of Operation for Policy Affairs is divided into: Directorate of Monitoring and Evaluation of Policy and Civil Technical Assistant Program(CTAP)
13) DG of Strategic Implementation is divided into: ANDS
Each department functions according to its comprehensive and well defined strategy, which feeds into the overall MoF strategic plan which is in turn in line with Afghanistan National Development Strategy (ANDS).
14) Project Coordination Deprtment:
The PIU has been established accordance to the suggestion of MOF and Decree NO. 2685 07/04/1390 of the presidential of Islamic republic of Afghanistan, with the following Goals in the structure (Tashkeel) of MOF under the deputy minister of administration: